So here is the thing I have been thinking A LOT about lately.
I have been an educator for 28 years. I say that and it seems like a lot… and that’s because it is. I think back to when I first started and the teachers who started 28 years before me were old… I’m not old. Sure, the young teachers probably think I am, but I don’t.
Something I have been noticing lately is how quick we are to change certain things in education while other things we keep the same… year after year after year. Is this because no one wants to take it on? Is it because it’s not worth taking on? Is it because someone hasn’t asked? I don’t know… but it has me wondering.
- Why do we have parent teacher conferences for three half days (Tues-Thurs) in a row, then teach a full day on Friday?
- Why do we insist on silence in the cafeteria when a room of teachers couldn’t stay silent if you paid them?
- Why do I park in the same spot every day and wonder why someone is in my spot when I come in on a random morning? Doesn’t she know it’s my spot? (No I don’t have a numbered spot)
- Why do we use antiquated paper and pencil for signing up for things in schools when there are SO many great technological advances? Examples: Conferences, lunch count, etc.
- Why do we try to create a middle school structure in an elementary school and hope the kids and teachers will make it work?
- Why do we allow kids to miss Science and Social Studies for band/orchestra lessons, but not math and reading? What message does that send?
- Why do we have half days of school for teacher professional development? Why can’t we build in real time for teachers to truly develop as professionals… not three hours after teaching for four hours and wolfing down a sandwich as you drive across town?
- Why do I drive the opposite way from work to get coffee every morning, when I have perfectly good coffee at home?
- Why is it that we all make the same amount of money for doing VERY different work? What other profession does this?
- Why is our ‘contractual day’ NOWHERE near what we actually work? But we actually continue to work beyond it? Wait, I know the answer… but when do we ask for a change?
There are more. I can’t think of them all, but what are your whys? What do you wish you could change?